33.5 C
Nigeria
Tuesday, May 28, 2024

95-year-old Queen Elizabeth tests positive for COVID-19

95-year-old Queen Elizabeth tests positive for COVID-19

Queen Elizabeth II of Britain has tested positive for coronavirus, according to an announcement from Buckingham Palace on Sunday.

The 95-year-old sovereign is about 70 years on the throne, and is said to be experiencing mild cold-like symptoms but expects to continue light duties at Windsor over the coming week, the palace said.

“She will continue to receive medical attention and will follow all appropriate guidelines,” it added.

The Queen confirmed she and her late husband, Prince Philip, had received their first doses of a COVID-19 vaccine in January 2021. But the palace has declined to reveal any information about subsequent vaccinations, citing medical privacy.

The Queen’s health has been closely scrutinized since late last year when she retreated from public events on advice from doctors to rest after an overnight hospital stay for an undisclosed reason. Fresh concern was renewed in the past few days as multiple family members self-isolated after testing positive for the virus.

Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, tested positive for COVID-19 for a second time 10 days ago while his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, confirmed she too had the virus on Monday.

A royal source confirmed at the time that the Queen had “recently” met her eldest son, but the source did not elaborate on exactly when the interaction had taken place.

The Prince of Wales previously contracted coronavirus in March 2020, as countries around the world were first feeling the effects of the pandemic. Charles said at the time that he was first infected that he had been lucky only to experience mild symptoms, adding that he’d “got away with it quite lightly.”

Prince William also tested positive for COVID-19 in 2020, though his infection wasn’t revealed until months later.

The Queen’s diagnosis comes days after she completed her first in-person engagement since returning to Windsor from Sandringham where she had marked the 70th anniversary of her accession to the throne and the death of her father, King George VI.

On Wednesday, the monarch held an audience with the outgoing Defence Services Secretary, Rear Admiral James Macleod, and his successor, Major General Eldon Millar, during which she appeared in good spirits.

CNN quoted a royal source to have said the Queen was resuming her regular duties of audiences, credentials and privy council meetings after her return to Windsor.

She has made plans to appear at a number of major engagements next month: a diplomatic reception at Windsor Castle on March 2, the annual Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on March 14; and a service of thanksgiving for Prince Philip at the same venue on March 29.

with the Queen’s positive COVID-19 test, her engagements are no longer sure to hold.

 

Share your thoughts on the story with NigerianSketch in the comments section.

 

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

20,694FansLike
3,912FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles