27.8 C
Nigeria
Sunday, July 14, 2024

Anthony Joshua/Dillian Whyte rematch cancelled after drug test

Anthony Joshua/Dillian Whyte rematch cancelled after drug test

Anthony Joshua’s rematch with Dillian Whyte on August 12 has been cancelled after the latter returned ‘adverse analytical findings’ in a drugs test.

Matchroom Sport released a statement on Saturday afternoon to confirm the news.

It read: “Today, the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) informed Matchroom, the Association of Boxing Commissions and the British Boxing Board of Control that Dillian Whyte had returned adverse analytical findings as part of a random anti-doping protocol.

“In light of this news, the fight will be cancelled, and a full investigation will be conducted. Further information on the event will follow.”

At this moment, it is unclear whether or not Joshua will still fight and take on a replacement opponent on Saturday, according to talkSPORT reporter Michael Benson.

He added: “Filip Hrgovic vs Demsey McKean was due to be on the undercard, though AJ may now simply wait for proposed Deontay Wilder showdown in January in Saudi Arabia.”

Whyte has been involved in two previous doping scandal, with the most recent being an adverse finding before his fight with Oscar Rivas in 2019.

The bout went ahead and Whyte was later cleared of any wrongdoing by UKAD.

Back in 2013, Whyte was banned for two years after testing positive for a banned substance found in a food supplement.

UK Anti-Doping said the fighter tested positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine after winning a heavyweight fight against Sandor Balogh on October 13.

British heavyweights Joshua and Whyte were set to go head-to-head at the O2 Arena in London next weekend.

“I’ve been clear that my plan is to be active this year,” said Joshua last month. August 12 is the date; I’ll be ready to fight. I look forward to dealing with business.”

Whyte added: “I’m looking forward to returning to the London O2 on August 12 and going to war. It’s 1-1 so this is the decider!”

Eddie Hearn also commented at the time: “I can’t quite believe this fight is happening and there was absolutely no stopping either man.”

That assurance appears to have been shaken now.

 

Share your thoughts on the story Anthony Joshua/Dillian Whyte rematch cancelled with NigerianSketch in the comments section below.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

20,694FansLike
3,912FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles