CNN Posts New Report on Lekki Incident
The Cable News Network (CNN) on Tuesday released a second report on the Lekki Tollgate shootings by the Nigerian Arrmy during the #EndSARS protests on October 20, 2020.
This is coming after authorities in Nigeria have written to CNN to protest what they called the inaccuracy of the first report.
In a lengthy letter written by Nigeria’s information minister, Lai Mohammed, on Monday, he said “we write to put on record that the report did not just fall short of journalistic standards, it reinforces the disinformation that is going around on the issue, it is blatantly irresponsible and it is a poor piece of journalistic work by a reputable international news organization.”
CNN had earlier insisted that its report was meticulously researched and has now posted a second report with more damning footage showing soldiers shooting at unarmed protesters on the fateful day at Lekki.
The fresh report, titled ‘Analysis of CCTV Footage From Lekki Toll Gate Raises New Questions About Shooting’, also shows the Commander, 81 Division, Brig.Gen Ahmed Taiwo, admitting before the judicial panel in Lagos that his men indeed took live ammunition to the tollgate, highlighting the fact that Brig.Gen Taiwo’s claim was contrary to the minister’s who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.
The fresh report also shows protesters running as soldiers open fire at the tollgate.
CNN said in the new report that the video footage of the Lekki incident it obtained before the one presented by the Nigerian authorities at the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry suggests that the later was tampered with.
The report said: