19.8 C
Nigeria
Thursday, July 29, 2021

FG Reveals Only Four States Ready for Ranching, Pledges Release of Funds

FG Reveals Only Four States Ready for Ranching, Pledges Release of Funds

The federal government has revealed that only four states have shown readiness for the take-off of the National Livestock Transformation Plan, even though over 20 states have assented to the scheme.

The states include Nasarawa, Plateau, Adamawa, and Kaduna.

The senior special assistant to the president on agriculture, Dr Andrew Kwasari, said before the end of June, the four states would receive the federal government’s counterpart funding of 51 per cent

Kwasari told The Punch that “We are finalising the processes in the four states that are ready – Nasarawa, Plateau, Adamawa, and Kaduna. So the federal government is working on it. I’m sure by the end of the month, they will have it (counterpart funding).”

He said the states that were ready to implement the NLTP would receive 49 per cent funding from the federal government.

According to him, “The Federal Government is working to support states and individuals in implementing the NLTP, which was approved by the National Council of Agriculture in conjunction with the National Economic Council. It’s basically to train the pastoralists in the technical skills they need to run ranches. That’s what we’re working on.

“The Federal Government is providing 49 per cent funding, which is about N100bn. The remaining 51 per cent funding is to come from the private sector and development partners.”

Asked if the federal government was reaching out to development organisations like the African Development Bank and World Bank to support the NLTP project, Kwasari was said to have answered in the affirmative.

“They are all welcome. In Nasarawa State, we have already gotten a grant of €400,000 (N195m) from The Netherlands. The federal government is reaching out to multilateral and bilateral partners so that no stone is left unturned to ensure we close the funding gap. Considering the situation of the oil crisis and others, organisations like the World Bank and AfDB are welcome,” he said.

 

Share your thoughts on the story FG Reveals Only Four States Ready for Ranching, Pledges Release of Funds with Nigerian Sketch in the comments section below.

Faruk Khalilhttps://nigeriansketch.com/
Khalil Faruk (Deputy Editor-in-Chief), has a Bachelors and Master's degree in Political Science and has worked as a reporter, features editor and Deputy Editor-in-Chief respectively in a leading Nigerian daily. He has undergone trainings in journalism, photo journalism and online journalism within and outside Nigeria.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

20,694FansLike
2,873FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles