Fresh Crisis at Barcelona as Sacked Manager Threatens Lawsuit

0
118
Fresh Crisis, Barcelona, Former Manager, Quique Setien, Threatens Lawsuit
Quique Setien

Fresh Crisis at Barcelona 

There is fresh crisis at Barcelona as former manager, Quique Setien has threatened to take legal action against the club over the abrupt termination of his contract.

The former manager, 61, and his three assistants were sacked after their 8-2 Champions League quarterfinal defeat to Bayern Munich last season.

He was appointed as a replacement for Ernesto Valverde earlier this year but did not last beyond the 2019-20 season.

Bayern’s humiliation of Barca forced the Catalans chiefs to terminate his contract and bring in former player, Ronald Koeman, and the former handler said he is taking Barcelona to court for failure to pay his severance package which he said was included in the deal he signed in January.

Daily Mail reports that Barca’s failure to fulfill their end of the bargain could hinder new boss, Koeman, from taking charge of the team on an official game until that has been settled.

Setien’s social media revealed that “After a month of absolute silence by the FC Barcelona board of directors, and after various requests by us, it is not until yesterday when we finally received the first official communications, by burofax. These communications reveal the clear intention of the directors not to comply with their employment contracts dated 01/14/2020.

“In my case, Quique Setién, it is public and well known that on August 17, both the Club and the President announced my dismissal with immediate effect.

“However, it was not until yesterday, September 16 (one month later), when they sent me, for the first time, the written communication of said dismissal (without any settlement).

“Regarding the rest of the coaching staff, they informed us, also yesterday, to our surprise, of a “future relocation” to the Club.

“For all that has been said, we have been forced to put the conflict resolution in the hands of our lawyers, taking into account that we must bring the corresponding legal actions. And this, in order to preserve our rights and what was agreed in its day with FC Barcelona.”

Setien failed to win silverware for Barcelona in the 2019-20 season after losing the league title to Real Madrid despite gapping them by two points before coronavirus forced all activities to go on suspension in March.

Is it proper for the former manager to take the club to court?

Share your thoughts with Nigerian Sketch in the comment section below.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here