Jigawa Attorney General survives two petitions to be named SAN alongside 57 top lawyers
The Attorney General of Jigawa State, Dr Musa Adamu Aliyu, was named among the 58 top Nigerian lawyers conferred with the title of senior advocates in 2023.
But, he had to battle two petitions submitted against him to the Legal Practitioners’ Privileges Committee (LPPC) by lawyers from his home state.
The LPPC, chaired by the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Olukayode Ariwoola, released the full list of the new SAN-designates in a statement on Thursday.
The statement, signed by the Chief Registrar of the Supreme Court, Hajo Sarki Bello, who doubles as the secretary to the LPPC, said the committee approved the list at its 159th plenary meeting held on Thursday.
According to the statement the LPPC considered “four different petitions written against some of the applicants and determined that each of the petition lacked merit and thus dismissed (them).”
Nigerian Sketch discovered that one Adamu Mukhtar, a lawyer and Nuhu Suleiman Tafida, also a lawyer, both from Jigawa State, submitted petitions to the LPPC, urging the committee to disregard the AG’s application for the conferment of SAN.
Further findings revealed that attempts by some well-meaning respected senior lawyers in Northern Nigeria to prevail upon the petitioners to withdraw their petitions fell on deaf ears.
Nigerian Sketch learnt that the Attorney General later filed his replies to the two petitions where he dealt with all the allegations against him in a manner that wrecked their merits.
Details of the contents of the petittions and the replies to them are still sketchy as of the time this story was published. Our reporters are however on the trail of the full gist.
SEE FULL PRESS RELEASE
LEGAL PRACTITIONERS’ PRIVILEGES COMMITTEE
SUPREME COURT OF NIGERIA
THREE ARMS ZONE, SUPREME COURT CO PLEX,
P.M.B. 308, ABUJA – NIGERIA
12 October 2023.
The Legal Practitioners’ Privileges Committee (L C) under the Chairmanship of His Lordship, the Hon. Chief Jus ice of Nigeria, Honorable Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, GCON at its 159th Plenary session held today 12th October, 2023, has approved the elevation of 58 Legal Practitioners to the Inner Bar.
The rank of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) is awared as a mark of excellence to members of the legal profession who have distinguished themselves as advocates and academics.
The meeting further considered four (4) different petitions written against some of the applicants and determined that each of the petition lacked merit and thus dismissed.
The swearing—in ceremony of the 58 successful applicants are scheduled to take place on Monday the 27th day of November, 2023.
The new awardees for year 2023 exercise are:
ADVOCATE APPOINTEES IN ORDER OF SENIORITY AT THE BAR
- FELIX OTA OFFIA, ESQ
- LAWRENCE BANKOLE FALADE, ESQ
- KINGSLEY OSABUOHIEN OBAMOGIE, ESQ
- FOLASHADE ABOSEDE ALLI, ESQ
- ABIOLA ISIAQ OYEBANJI, ESQ
6 BOMO OLAKUNLE AGBEBI, ESQ
- DANIEL OSINACH URUAKPA , ESQ
- OSELOKA GODWIN OSUIGWE, ESQ
- BABATUNDE ADEOYE, ESQ
- BABASEYI SIGISMUND JOSEPH, ESQ
- EMMANUEL MOSES ENOIDEM, ESQ
- KEHINDE OLUFEMI AINA, ESQ
- NGOZI CHIDO OLEHI, ESQ
- AARON CHILEOKWU OKOROMA, ESQ
- IBRAHIM DALHATU ANGULU, ESQ
- OLAYIWOLA EMMANUEL AFOLABI, ESQ
- SULE SHU’AIBU, ESQ
- ABIODUN OLANREWAJU OLALERU, ESQ
- ALFRED OLUFEMI ATTEH, ESQ
- KAZEEM ADEKUNLE SOBALOJU, ESQ
- SHEHU WADA ABDULLAHI, ESQ
- BAMIDELE OLAWOYE IBIRONKE, ESQ
- OLUWASEYILAYO AKINKUNMI OJO, ESQ
- FUNMI FALANA, ESQ
- FELIX TAMARAUDENKEMEFA OKOROTIE,
- SEUN OLUWAGBENGAAJAYI, ESQ
- FRIDAY RAMSES AKU ONOJA, ESQ
- AGADA JOHN ELACHI, ESQ
- BOLA RASAQ GOLD, ESQ
- PAUL KASIMANWUNA MADUEMENE, ESQ
- RAFIU OYEYEMI BALOGUN, ESQ
- OLUWOLE ALADEDOYE, ESQ
- PAULYN OSOBHASE ABHULIMEN, ESQ
- JONATHAN GUNU TAIDI, ESQ
- TOCHUKWU JUDE ONYIUKE, ESQ
- OLUKAYODE ABRAHAM AJULO, ESQ
- CHRISTOPHER ADAPAR UMAR, ESQ
- CHIBUEZE OGECHI OGBONNA, ESQ
- YEMI ADEWALE M’SBAUDEEN ADESINA, ES
- OMOYEMI LATEEF AKANGBE, ESQ
- OLUMIDE AKINWALE OLUJINMI, ESQ.
- MUSAADAMU ALIYU, ESQ
- FIDELIS CHUKWUNONYE MBADUGHA ESQ
- ONYEMAECHI CHUKWUDI ADIUKWU, ESQ
- IKECHUKWU PHILIP ONUOMA, ESQ
46 YAKUBU PHILEMON ESQ
- JONNY UNGWUGWAYE AGIM ESQ
- ALIYU LEMU IBRAHIM ESQ
- ISAIAH BOZIMO ESQ
- PRISCA OZOILESIKE ESQ
- YAHAYA DAN’ASABE DANGANA ESQ
- ADEDAYO SAMUEL ADEDEJI ESQ
- ADEOLA OLUWASEUN ADEDIPE ESQ
- CHIKAOSOLU OJUKWU ESQ
- MUSA AHMED ATTAH ESQ
- AYOTUNDE FOLUSO OGUNLEYE ESQ
- OLAYEMI BADEWOLE ESQ
58 PROF BABATUNDE ADETUNJI ONI ESQ, (the lone successful academic applicant for the rank)
Share your thoughts on the story Jigawa Attorney General survives two petitions to be named SAN alongside 57 top lawyers with NigerianSketch in the comments section below.