24 C
Nigeria
Sunday, April 14, 2024

Lagos White Paper Says No Deaths at Lekki Toll Gate

Lagos White Paper Says No Deaths at Lekki Toll Gate

Lagos State government, on Tuesday, rejected some of the conclusions reached by the Judicial Panel of Inquiry into last year’s #EndSARS protest.

The government said there were no deaths or massacres from military gunshots at Lekki Toll Gate.

Of the 32 recommendations made by the Judicial Panel of Inquiry, the state government accepted 11; rejected one; and accepted six with modifications.

Also, 14 recommendations fell outside the powers of the state government and would be forwarded to the federal government for consideration.

Speaking at State House, Alausa, Sanwo-Olu disclosed that his government was committed to bringing closure to the “painful episode”. He said the state faces the hard choice of restoring harmony or doing itself great harm, urging residents to join his administration in strengthening harmony and putting Lagos on the path of peace.

He said his administration is ready to facilitate better communication between youths and the security machinery to resolve issues before they become intractable.

The governor also disclosed he would be leading ‘A Walk for Peace’ in December to herald healing of the land, and extended an open invitation to youths, members of the diplomatic corps, civil society groups, students and the media, as well as other stakeholders.

He specifically invited Folarin Falana (Falz), Debo Adebayo (Mr. Marcaroni), Dele Farotimi, Temitope Majekodunmi, Segun Awosanya (Segalinks), Adedotun (Just Detoun), Seun Kuti, Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu and Commander of Rapid Response Squad (RRS), CSP Yinka Egbeyemi, and others to join him in the “historic march for our dear Lagos”.

He said: “Nobody will build this city for us. Let us show the world who we are. We are Lagosians, a people of great renown, driven by the irrepressible spirit of Lagos. It is a testimony to our strength and resilience as a people that, despite the huge losses incurred because of these terrible incidents, we have bounced back, with our economy as vibrant and virile as ever. I have no doubt whatsoever that our prospects are as bright as ever and the best lies ahead of Lagos State and Nigeria.

However, Falz and Mr. Marcaroni have rejected Sanwo-Olu’s invitation to the peace walk.

Mr. Marcaroni said genuine peacemaking should begin by first implementing the recommendations of the panel. He said “I humbly decline the invitation of Mr. Governor…Before there can be healing, the government has to be sincere. There must be acceptance of wrongdoings and willingness to correct them.

“The last walk wey I do, na so dem bundle me, strip me naked, brutalise and dehumanise me. I no carry gun, I no carry weapon. As dem dey beat me, dem dey ask why I dey disturb Mr. Governor. Now dem say make I come do walk. For another round of beating?”

 

 

Falz, on his part, said proposed is a very disrespectful joke. He said “This suggestion of a ‘walk of peace’ sounds like a joke and a very disrespectful one at that. People were murdered in cold blood and absolutely no iota of justice has been served, more than a year after. How can there be peace without justice?”

Segalink, however, said the governor has shown leadership with his mature response.

 

Share your thoughts on the story with Nigerian Sketch in the comments section below.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

20,694FansLike
3,912FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles