26.6 C
Nigeria
Wednesday, June 19, 2024

86-year-old man’s cooking causes fire that razes building in Kwara

86-year-old man’s cooking causes fire that razes building in Kwara

An 86-year-old man has been injured in an inferno that gutted a building on Saturday at No.14 Afolayan Street, off Asa Dam Road in Ilorin, Kwara State.

It was learnt that the fire was ignited from the cooking of the octogenarian who got part of his head burnt in the process.

Confirming the incident, the Public Relations Officer of the Kwara State fire service, Hassan Adekunle, said the incident occurred when the victim momentarily stepped out to attend to someone while cooking.

READ ALSO: ZOONOTIC DISEASES: Kwara receives 330,400 doses of anthrax vaccine

“Upon returning, he discovered his apartment was on fire in the 12 room building. In a state of distress, he entered the burning apartment, possibly to retrieve belongings, and suffered injuries, including burns to the hair on his head.

“The injured man was promptly taken to the nearest hospital to receive treatment for his injuries”, he said.

Adekunle added that “The director of the service, Prince Falade John, expressed sympathy over the incident and emphasised the importance of fire safety awareness.

He urged the public to remain vigilant and take necessary precautions to prevent such incidents.

In recent days, Kwara State has experienced multiple fire incidents that have resulted in property damage and injuries to residents. These incidents have highlighted the importance of fire safety practices and awareness in the community.

From a building housing 40 rooms being engulfed in flames to an 86-year-old man sustaining injuries in a separate fire incident, these events underscore the need for vigilance and proper fire prevention measures.

The first incident involved a fire that broke out at a compound housing 40 rooms in Ilorin, the capital of Kwara State. The fire started due to a resident’s failure to properly extinguish a charcoal fire used for cooking, leading to significant damage to nine rooms within the building. The state fire service responded swiftly to mitigate the blaze and prevent further destruction. Fortunately, there were no casualties reported in this incident, but personal belongings and property were lost.

Both incidents serve as stark reminders of the importance of fire safety measures and awareness among residents. The need for proper handling of cooking fires, timely extinguishing of flames, and overall vigilance to prevent such disasters is crucial in safeguarding lives and property.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

20,694FansLike
3,912FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles