26.6 C
Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Mother, son, die of electrocution in Ogun market, many injured

Mother, son, die of electrocution in Ogun market, many injured

A mother, her son and one other person have been electrocuted at Mowe market in Obafemi-Owode local government area of Ogun State.

It was gathered that the incident occurred on Monday following an electric spark in the market after electricity was restored a few hours after the Sunday rainstorm.

According to witnesses, the electric shock broke out from the step-down transformer suspended on an electrical pole next to the shop where the incident happened at the time the shop owners arrived for their daily business in the market.

READ ALSO: Amending the Constitution to Allow States to generate, Transmit and Distribute Electricity – A SWOT Analysis

About four people were also injured in the incident.

The Director of Information at the Obafemi Owode Local Government, Segun Soneye, confirmed the incident on Wednesday.

He explained that the woman “was burnt into ashes.”

Soneye blamed the incident on the construction of shops made of iron under the powerline by the traders.

He said the chairman of the council, Lanre Ogunsola, had visited the affected shop owners and commiserated with them over the incident.

He said the LG boss had already given shop owners a seven-day ultimatum to evacuate their make-shift shops built under the high-tension powerline to forestall the recurrence of the incident.

READ ALSO: Armed robbers snatch trader’s $11 million in Ogun

The council boss visited the victims, who were receiving treatments at Mowe Health Post, and assured them of quality medical care with all the expenses to be paid by the government.

The police spokesperson, Omolola Odutola, also confirmed the incident but said only the mother, Ujuwa Okechukwu, died.

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles